Monday, September 18, 2006

Birthday party

Went to cousin Serene's 21st birthday party last night at Zui Fairprice Live Seafood Restaurant located at Upper Thomson Road.

(Oops! HM's head's chopped off by Picassa program. Not my fault, Sis!)

It was drizzling on our journey there and to make matters worse, we weren't familiar with the area.

We ended up parking the car along a narrow street adjacent to the building in which the restaurant was located.

Didn't notice the pavement was slippery and suffered a slip.

Landed on my left knee while my right one was sprawled straight out in front. Luckily, there were no broken bones and I was able to stand up after a split second of recovery from the trauma.

Fortunately I had a Hercules hold on Karyn. She wasn't even the least bit perturbed. I guessed she didn't even notice anything was wrong.

My back ached throughout the dinner. Despite my discomfort, I put on a (hopefully seen as) gracious smile as I entertained the never-ending questions about Karyn and the life of motherhood.

I didn't want my relatives to think that I was an overly concerned parent while they passed Karyn around to play.

Hence, even though Hubby and I could see that she was tired, we relented.

I only stepped in twice to excuse Karyn from being the entertainment object - once when her eyes were very red already and the other when Hubby noticed that her neck looked swollen.

It turned out that the press studs at the back of her dress were abrasive as a result of "passing the baby around". Concerned, I quickly applied some Drapolene on the angry red patch.

Well well, it's been 11 long years since the family had a baby.

That's why Karyn always steals the limelight, even from the birthday girl. Oops!

When once I was finally able to put Karyn back into her stroller for a rest (albeit very short one before the children started to come), she was so blissful and at ease just lying there watching the lights on her mini electric fan twirl round and round.

"That's the best way to enjoy her," I told Er Gu who came to look at Karyn.

"She prefers to be the audience and not the entertainer," I said in jest.


Upon reaching home at 10 p.m., it took me more than 1 hour to settle Karyn and myself - sponge bathe Karyn, change her into bedtime clothing, quick shower for myself, giving Karyn her last feed of the day (which she didn't finish; as usual, Sundays are always over stimulating for her) and putting her to bed.

Last of all was getting Hubby to apply my greatest friend of all time - "Salon Pas" to my injury.

Turned out that I had aches ALL over my body.

I didn't realise the severity of my injury until I started shivering out of coldness.

The gel was a double action gel which produces a hot effect when initially applied and then it changes to a cold effect.

I felt like I was camping at the North Pole; I was shivering despite having worn socks and thrown on myself a thick bath towel, a thin blanket and two layers of quilt.

After what seemed like a long time, I drifted off to sleep...

(Disclaimer: All pictures posted are taken by personal camera. If you are not comfortable with your picture appearing in my blog, please leave me a note on the tagboard & I'll remove it.)

No comments: