Monday, September 18, 2006

Store room overhaul

Spent the entire morning of Saturday, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. clearing out the store room and re-organising it.

It was the first time I embarked on this major project ever since Hubby and I moved into the house in 2004 after our wedding.

Things have amazingly piled up over the two years and especially after Karyn came along, we've inherited hand-me-downs that occupied the floor until the "Wow! Can't even see the floor!" comment was passed by a cousin.

I really couldn't tolerate the mess anymore. Besides, I'm on leave till October so I might as well take the opportunity to tidy up the house.

In fact, I had just spent two days over the past week organising the wardrobe area.

It was actually an effort to remedy the mistake typical of young couples - choosing design over functionality during the renovation stage - we had opted for a open wardrobe.

And lo and behold! Dust settles in just as comfortably as our clothes.

Hence the first trip to Ikea to get modular storage units that can hang onto the metal rods in the wardrobe last week.

Made a second trip after I was done with the wardrobe area and decided to clear out the store room.

Due to Hubby's eczema and allergy (his skin will itch once in contact with dust, which will also trigger his asthma), I decided to spare him of the torture, be the dutiful wife and undertake the tasks of organising the house alone.

Fortunately, Mum who's here on weekdays to take care of Karyn is around to lend me the occasional helping hand by passing me the mop or dust cloth and mopping of the floor after I had completed the "projects".

Or else, I might have suffered more than one broken nail, two arm abrasions and achy limbs that required "Salon Pas".

No comments: