Wednesday, May 10, 2006

False alarm (AGAIN!)

Woke up in the middle of the night with the all-too-familiar-now menstrual-like cramps. Couldn't get it to subside. Seemed to be the same intensity no matter which side I tried to lie on. Luckily, I was able to doze off to sleep after some time.

In the morning, after breakfast, the cramps came back again. This time, accompanied by lower back soreness... It's familiar ground... I've had it once last Sunday morning... So I wasn't too bothered. Since the hospital bag is packed, I haven't got much to worry. At most, if it's really time for labour, I'll call Hubby to come home from work.

So I pretty much went about doing the usual stuff - surfing the Internet and chatting on MSN. In fact, I managed to cook myself macaroni for lunch. Then I started to feel REALLY tired and went to lie down. Unknowingly, I had fallen asleep and woke up only 2 and a half hours later.

Oh yes, before that, I was still somewhat concerned that the cramps seemed to come on and off. Was worried about preterm labour. So I smsed Ginny and asked if I should head to the Gynae's clinic there and then or wait till my scheduled appointment at night. She advised me to follow my instincts, can wait if the cramps are not to bad, or go immediately if I was very concerned.

In the end, I decided not to panic and assumed a wait-and-see attitude. Glad I didn't rush down to the clinic as the cramps seemed to subside while I slept.

After I woke up, whilst taking my shower, the cramps seemed to resume again. Sigh...

Luckily, I only had to bear with it for another couple of hours before Hubby would be home and we'll head to the gynae.

Dr. Paul Tseng asked if there was any blood in the discharge. There wasn't. So he concluded that it was just Braxton Hicks and not labour contractions; labour contractions would increase in intensity and doesn't go away at all. He mentioned that I would expect to experience an increase in the frequency of the Braxton Hicks as the due date gets nearer.

When he did the scan of the baby, he noted that the baby's head was quite low but wasn't engaged yet. And my uterus was quite soft, meaning we're not quite near labour yet. So, the conclusion that Hubby was waiting for was, there's no risk of baby arriving early. So yes, he would go ahead with his Guangzhou business trip in my 36th week (22 - 25 May). Sigh...

After we left his office, I realised that he didn't mention Karyn's weight... Hmm... I wonder how much she weighs now...

No comments: