Saturday, May 27, 2006

"Good-sized" baby = "big-sized" baby

Hubby's finally back from Guangzhou yesterday evening. The night before his return, Karyn and I were both so anxious that I could hardly sleep. I went to bed at midnight yet still found myself wide awake at 2.30 in the morning. And Karyn was so active throughout, moving around more than usual.

Early in the morning yesterday, I called up my gynae's clinic to make an appointment as the previous night's appointment had been cancelled at the last minute. His nurse had called to say he had 2 deliveries to attend and so could not be at the clinic.

So, I called his clinic at TMC and made an appointment at 11.50 a.m. Took a cab down with my mum who had been staying with me since Monday evening to accompany me while Hubby was in Guangzhou.

We had arrived earlier and thus went to the hospital nursery to look at the babies there. There were about 8 babies there at that time, mostly boys. Then we noticed there was a baby which weighed 3.9+kg! My gosh! That's huge! I wonder if it was a natural or Caesarean birth.

Then we proceeded to my gynae's clinic. During the consultation, Dr. Tseng palpated my tummy which caused slight discomfort at the pelvic area. Then he measured my uterus and commented, "You have a good-sized baby.."

I was caught by surprised and laughed out out. "That means "big-sized" lah!?"

"About 3.1 kg. You have to watch your carbo and sugar intake," he advised.

OH MY GOD! I didn't expect my baby to be this huge at 36 weeks!

"Is she engaged already?" I probed.

"Not yet but she's engaging.." was his reply. I wonder what that means...

Oh dear... Thoughts ran wild in my mind. Should I self-induce Karyn to come out within this two weeks? What if she gets bigger in the next few weeks? What if she gets so big that I can't have the natural birth that I want? What if...?

I was so worried. Later that evening, I msged my doula-instructor and asked for her advice. This is her reply: "Imagine putting an unripe apple in a microwave, what would be the outcome? It's the same with your body, if it is not ready... no matter what you do, nothing will work."

Well well, she does have a point there.

Sigh... looks like there's nothing much to be done except to really cut back on rice, bread and noodles which have been my staple diet for the past 9 months.

But then again, it's time to resume taking raspberry leaf tea! I had stopped taking it after that week that I started. 'Cos it was giving my consecutive nights of Braxton Hicks. And I thought it wouldn't be wise to continue in case it triggered labour while Hubby was away.

But then again, when I asked Dr. Tseng about the tea, he said that it would trigger contractions but not induce labour. And anyway, he added, it's alright for me to drink it now since I'm already close to full term. What he said contradicts what I read from the Internet and is a bit self-contradictory. Many women who are past their due dates swear by raspberry leaf tea to induce labour. And if he really meant that it wouldn't induce labour, then why had he reassured me that it was okay to drink since I'm close to full term?

Well, well, whatever the case, i don't see the harm in drinking it every day. Anyway, I think it's better to start learning to cope with the Braxton Hicks before labour. Hopefully, drinking the tea will help achieve an easier labour, as advocated.

No comments: